Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 June 2015

Memoir of Sunari Sikuan, a village in Khariar block of Nuapada district. IN ANNYATHA MULYAHEENA (Otherwise worthless)

Memoir of Sunari Sikuan, a village in Khariar block of Nuapada district.
IN ANNYATHA MULYAHEENA (Otherwise worthless)

Prologue- So far I wrote about my childhood memoir not in a chronological order but as flashes that touched me. I felt these are otherwise worthless events in my life. I didn’t plan to write my adult memoir with the same title as I never felt I am living a worthless life as a state government servant in Odisha Medical Services in periphery cadre. I am not a corrupt and capable man to design my posting. But by grace of God where ever I worked I loved to do my work and more importantly people loved me. I worked in Nuapada district three months before its formation out of undivided Kalahandi district in 1993 first of April, 13 months at Budhikomna and about six years at Raj Khariar, the head quarter of one of the important princely state of pre independent Odisha ruled by the Singhdeos. This is a small but beautiful NAC and block headquarter of surrounding villages as if it is in the center. Almost at its western periphery is a moderate size village ‘Sunari Sikuan’ that literarily means where goldsmiths reside happily.

One gentleman Mr Pradip Kumar Baitharu was a good leader and Sarpanch of Sunari Sikuan grampanchayat. He had a habit of raising his village issues at different forums. That is a distant village from Khariar on the road to another block head quarter Sinapali famous for gems stone.

I went there on 11th December 1994 to do a health camp in ADAPT scheme that was still continuing remembered as Rajiv Gandhi’s Kalahandi development scheme. The date is remembered for two reasons as I had planned to go to Raipur to purchase my highly needed first bike on 12th December which is an important day in the calendar for me. The camp was finished in time and we were about to return when Mr Baitharu raised an issue of creating a Sub center where health workers are posted. I supported his view and told him that I am a small man and the sub center creation was a govt level decision. Political pressure and commitment was required, and the memorandum should be placed at proper forum. By mistake! He felt hurt as my version had another meaning that I am telling him a weak politician. He executed his capability immediately and gheraoed my vehicle.
I told my Raipur plan that was of no effect to him. I told him to send the memorandum to higher authority with no result. I requested him to send the message that they are blocking the vehicle. He was adamant that let them come automatically not getting us in time. Our team had not taken lunch were hungry. They supplied blasted rice (mudhi) and assured that they are going to cook our lunch. They were friendly. Their whole purpose was to make their demand loud enough to be heard by the authority. We were hungry and enjoyed the snacks but denied to take lunch if they are preparing.
We had nothing to do other than passing time in boredom. On that road a government homeopath, Dr Banambara Parida could note our condition as he was moving on towards Gandabahali his work place on the way to Sinapali. He came to us and told that if he returned back the mob might be suspicious for which it was better to go to Sinapali Police station to do a VHF message to Sukinda (mobile phone facility did not arrive till that period). This worked and after about two hours a team of police with our best possible Medical Officer In Charge very senior, Dr Ambarish Pradhan arrived. He was unusually sober on that day. Accepted the memorandum and morally supported their demand, assured to ensure a higher level discussion. I felt the mob also were too bored by that time and pretended that they believe something good would happen!
We returned thanking for their hospitality and my bike proposal next day was cancelled.
Unpredictable things happen and many a time one invites it like I did on that day.

The village is remembered for a second event too that is relevant to my professional philosophy.
    I was with our Medical Officer Dr Ambarish Pradhan who went for inspection of health activities and I did a mobile health camp. We were planning our lunch there that was a simple vegetarian meal not of much taxing to the people who arranged the camp. Rice, dal and a curry was on menu.
On the same day Khariar police was investigating a petty crime in the village, a good feast was arranged for them and it was a simple guess to know who arranged the feast and what was on menu.
Police medical relation usually remained very good and the police party was always dealt with us in a manner as if it was their duty to see our comfort. So they for courtesy sake invited our party to their lunch.
It was a small thing but with obvious discomfort as we were unexpected and not solicited by the original hosts. So somehow we politely denied joining. It was not to the comfort of the police team too.
 My officer asked my opinion on the issue.
Sir! The society divides the government servants into two categories, the ruler group and the servant group. The police department, the revenue department, forest department, the administrative people are considered rulers where as employees related to health, agriculture, veterinary, postal, education and similar category are considered as servants like barbers and laundry workers.
That I never meant to say some department was good or bad. I just told people’s perception. They did a grand feast for police out of fear and a small one for us out of love.
This statement was nothing to do with our or their degradation. When the society degrades people of all departments degrade in equal scale. Being a teacher never makes a person honest or being a contractor never makes a man dishonest. Reverse may be true, varies from person to person.
I added, but sir, we have a special love for the hair dresser or the dhobi. So with all hackling and consumer cases too people keep us in this special category of people with love. I was very comfortable to analyze in this way which after two decades is still valid for me. It is a blessing to be a health professional where you are expected to be a demigod and that is the biggest problem too.
(We had excellent rapport with the police and I beg excuse as I feel this article mention the other department as beneficiaries of public expenditure.)
 So as a doctor one is treated as a more qualified servant only. One should accept it. To some it is difficult of course.

   That is not all about the village. This article is dedicated to Mr Baitharu who must be of my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment